Why invest money in readymade expensive glues when you can make DIY nail glue? Are you wondering how to make nail glue at home? Researchers have found synthetic glue is responsible for damaging nail beds in the long run. Besides, aren’t they expensive? The pros of using DIY nail adhesive are it contains nail-friendly components. And they are oh-so affordable! These glues are easy to make. With just a few commonly available ingredients you can make this glue-like a pro! So, if the packaging of your fake nails does not have glue, stop worrying! We are here to offer you a permanent solution!
A Brief Insight into Nail Adhesives
Nail adhesives are the key components of nail art. They are used to keep favorite nails in place. As you spent hundreds of bucks on them, are they worthy? Most of nail glue brands are incorporating synthetic or artificial ingredients.
These toxins prove to be worse for the human nails and skin. In addition to irritation, the nail glue ingredients can be the underlying cause of triggering other diseases.
- Ethyl Cyanoacrylate: A colorless liquid playing a pivotal role in making nail glues. As per Oxford University, it is known to trigger irritation in eyes or skin and cause inadequate ventilation or off the ect lungs.
- Citric Acid: Citric acids from natural sources are definitely useful for us. Imagine an artificially curated white powder from fermented sugar products! Are you shocked? Well, they are used for maintaining the acidic base and preserving the product. Moderate amounts of the acid may cause skin irritation.
- Polyurethane Acrylate Oligomer: As soon as the glue dries, it removes the gumminess.
- I Violet 2: Hope, you can figure from the name that it is a coloring ingredient. As per FDA, this pigment component is safe only for external use.
- Hydroxypropyl Methacrylate: It is responsible for giving the nails a good build and length. As per the cosmetic experts, the product is safe in cosmetics but not skin. How bizarre!
- BHA: It is used to preserve the nail adhesive. With the BHA product, it is often advised to be cautious against bioaccumulation, breakdown of immunity mechanism, abnormality in the reproductive organs, allergies and endocrine interruption.
Are you in a panic mode reading the associated health hazards? No worries! We are here to provide you with some effective nail-friendly synthetic glue alternatives. This DIY nail glue is gentle on skin. Ta da! They are cheap too.
- This DIY nail glue is gentle on skin.
- They are cheaper.
- With some daily use of household ingredients and a few minutes, you can easily make this adhesive.
- You do not need to take the extra headache of buying the product. Make it anytime you wish to decorate your nails.
Step-by-Step Guide to Make DIY Nail Glue
Homemade nail glue is the easiest way to flaunt beautiful fake nails. Spare a minute to read the following steps. It will surely be of great help!
1. Take a Bowl and Fill It with a Cup of PVA Glue
- Take a measuring cup. In case you do not have one you can use spoons.
- Take an abandoned bowl. Pour the adhesive straight away into it.
- To make the maximum use of the glue, scrape all the sides of the bowl. The color of the glue does not matter because it does not have much effect on the glue’s nature.
2. Add 7.4 ML Pure Nail Polish
- Pour the nail polish on any measuring spoon. It will help you to pour the exact quantity without any spilling here and there.
- Add it to the existing PVA glue in the bowl.
Note: If you are confused with the quantity, you should know this. The 7.4 ml refers to the half of the standardized nail polish bottle.
3. Cut One End of a Cotton Swab
This cut stick acts as a stirrer for your mixture in the bowl.
- Take a pair of scissors to cut one end of the swap stick.
- Hold the stick in the middle and cut away either of the cotton portions.
- Discard the cut portion because the rest is what you need.
4. Mixing the Ingredients
This is the end step of making the solution. In this step:
- Place the swab in a way that the cut end of the stick is into the mixture.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly at least for a couple of minutes to combine the ingredients.
- You must scrape the sides to blend the mixture well.
- For smooth stirring, hold the cotton end of the swab stick.
This is how to make nail glue at home. The question that arises following the glue is made is related to its storage.
- Store the mixture in a clean, dry airtight nail paint container. The airtight container makes sure that the glue does not dry soon. Stir the solution occasionally to make it last longer.
Are you running out of a clean nail polish bottle? Take a half-emptied nail polish. Soak it in a remover solution for a few hours. Rinse it with water. Dry the bottle thoroughly before use.
Watch the video below to see these instructions in video format:
Guide to Apply Homemade Nail Adhesive
There is not much difference between the synthetic glues and the homemade nail adhesives. You may think DIY nail glue is effective or not. Though the ingredients may seem simple, they are highly effective.
Confused how to apply the DIY glue on your nails? Just read the steps for a smooth experience:
Step 1: Spread the Glue Over the Whole Nail
To add fake nails spread the glue across the whole nail surface:
- Use a cotton swab as an applicator.
- Cut it just like the one you have done while mixing the glue. Start applying from the cuticle to the free end.
- Make sure all the strokes are even for a thorough result.
- Always use the cut end of the stick as an applicator. If you apply with the cotton end, the strands of cotton will stick to your nails.
Step 2: Pressing the Nail
- You need to press the fake nails onto the glue for a few seconds. It will make the pasting firm.
- Keep the hand still while pasting. Even a small movement may let the nail slip and fit in the wrong way. All your efforts will go into waste!
In case you are suffering from a split nail problem. Do you know what to do? Well, mourning over the affected will not fix the problem.
- Dip the without cotton end of the swab stick into the adhesive
- Apply a coat on the broken portion. It won’t fix your broken part but will prevent its further breakage.
Remove Homemade Nail Glue With These Easy Hacks
These glues are wonders. If you have made nail glue at home, they are not only easy to make but easy to apply and remove.
- Pour a moderate amount of nail polish remover into a bowl. The nail polish remover you are using must contain acetone.
- Dip your finger into it for as long as 45 minutes. You can also dip one finger at a time into the remover container (in the absence of bowl).
- You will see that your artificial nail is coming off. This indicates that the glue is dissolved in the solution.
- Use soap along with water to wash your hands.
Alternative Methods to Make Diy Nail Glue
There are several other methods of how to make nail glue. These methods also include several household ingredients. Thus, if you do not have PVA and nail polish at home consider the below ingredients:
Corn Starch and Syrup
These two corn solutions get tacky when heated.
- Mix corn syrup, vinegar and water and boil. Stir cornstarch and water in a bowl.
- Pour and keep stirring the mixture into the boiling solution.
- Let it cool after putting out the fire.
Paste of Flour and Water
Do you know how to make glue with flour and water?
- Simply mix flour and water.
- Make a thick paste and heat it until it thickens.
- Cool the solution. Your DIY nail adhesive is ready!
Paper mache and dry milk solution are also excellent glues. Try them if you want to be experimental with the glue making.
Whether it is food or some cosmetic products, homemade solutions will always be best. They are cost-effective, cheap, and safe. Hope you have learned how to make nail glue at home. You can use them as many times as you want. It won’t give you the nightmare of damaged nail surface or corrosion of the nails. Instead, they will nourish your nails and act as nail feeders. So, when you want to look stylish, be wisely stylish!
Will nail glue have an adverse effect on nails?